Four people were killed — including an 8-year-old and a teen — and 10 others wounded in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California on Saturday, with the gunman still on the loose, cops and reports said.
The deadly chaos occurred just before 6 p.m. at Monkey Space, a banquet hall near a Dairy Queen in Stockton, about 40 miles south of Sacramento, the Sacramento Bee reported.

9
Police respond to the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, Calif., on Saturday night.
REUTERS
Those slain were ages 8, 14, 22 and 30, the local outlet the 209 Times reported. The injured also included a 9-year-old and a 15-year-old and went up to age 22, the Bee and a local pol said.
“Unfortunately tonight, heaven is a little bigger with the individuals, children and adults that unfortunately did not make it,” Mayor Christina Fugazi said late Saturday.
A spokeswoman for the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said it appeared that the shooting was “targeted” as opposed to a random attack.

Stocktivities via REUTERS
“This is a very active and ongoing investigation, and information remains limited,” the rep, Heather Brent, told reporters. ”Early indications suggest this may be a targeted incident, and investigators are exploring all possibilities.
“Detectives are actively working to determine the circumstances leading up to this tragedy.”
The conditions of those injured are unknown.
The gunman fled the scene and remains at large, authorities said.

AP
Neighbors claimed that gunfire appeared to sound off from multiple locations during the chaotic shooting, KCRA reported.
“Our number one priority is identifying the suspect in this incident,” Brent said.

AP

REUTERS
“We’re very grateful for our local law enforcement agencies; we have called out several agencies to come out and assist,” she added.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom was briefed on the shooting.
Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee said the shooting happened at a child’s birthday party, calling it a tragedy for the community 90 miles east of San Francisco.

REUTERS
“Tonight, my heart is heavy in a way that’s hard to put into words. As Vice Mayor of Stockton — and as someone who grew up in this community — I am devastated and angry to learn about the mass shooting at a child’s birthday party,” Lee wrote on Facebook.
“Violence touched my life as a young person, and seeing our own children, parents, and neighbors go through this shakes me deeply. Stockton is my home. These are our families. This is our community,” he said.
“Tonight, I’m sending my thoughts, prayers, and love to the families who are hurting, to the children who witnessed this trauma, and to everyone across our city who feels this pain,” Lee added. “Please God, uplift our community. We don’t deserve this. And we will not accept this as our norm.”
Fugazi urged anyone with information on the murders to call the local Crime Stoppers number so justice can be served.

REUTERS
“Tonight, I’m sending my thoughts, prayers, and love to the families who are hurting, to the children who witnessed this trauma, and to everyone across our city who feels this pain,” Lee added. “Please God, uplift our community. We don’t deserve this. And we will not accept this as our norm.”
Fugazi urged anyone with information on the murders to call the local Crime Stoppers number so justice can be served.

AP
Stockton has a population of nearly 320,000 people, with about 16% of residents living below the poverty line, according to US Census data.
Crime has run rampant in the city and San Joaquin County as a whole, according to the Simmrin Law Group, whose 2024 analysis named the county the most dangerous in California with an average of 72 violent crimes per 1,000 residents – nearly double the statewide average.

REUTERS
There have been 34 homicides in Stockton so far this year, not including last night’s mass shooting, according to police records.
The tragedy happened approximately 24 hours after a shooting wounded three people inside the Westfield Valley Fair Mall on Black Friday in Santa Clara — 80 miles away from Saturday’s incident.
A verbal argument turned violent when the armed suspect pulled out a gun and allegedly shot the man he was arguing with, San Jose police said.
An adult female and 16-year-old girl were struck by stray bullets, officials revealed.
All three victims were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
