MacKenzie Scott Donates $45 Million to The Trevor Project After Trump Administration Cuts

Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott has gifted $45 million to The Trevor Project, a nonprofit that supports LGBTQ+ youth, after the federal government cut $25 million in funding to the organization.

“This extraordinary contribution — the single largest one-time donation in our 27-year history — comes at a pivotal moment for our organization and the LGBTQ+ young people we serve,” Jaymes Black, The Trevor Project’s CEO, said as he announced the donation on the organization’s website on Monday, Jan. 12.

Scott previously donated $6 million to The Trevor Project in 2020, the group said.

Founded in 1998, The Trevor Project provides 24/7 crisis care for LGBTQ+ young people on such issues as coming out, LGBTQ+ identity, depression and suicide. Other services from the nonprofit include peer support, public eduction and advocacy of policies to prevent suicide among LBGTQ+ youth.

The group estimates that 40 million LGBTQ+ youth around the world “seriously consider” suicide each year.

“Even at our highest reach, The Trevor Project has only been able to serve a fraction of those youth,” Black said. “That means that hundreds of thousands of young people each year still go without the life-saving support they deserve.”

The latest donation from Scott, the former wife of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, comes as the Trump Administration cut off $25 million to The Trevor Project last July — funding the organization needs to provide services to at-risk youth. The group said last June that the administration ordered the closure of the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline’s LGBTQ+ Youth Specialized Services program.

“This is devastating, to say the least,” Black responded at the time.  “Suicide prevention is about people, not politics. The administration’s decision to remove a bipartisan, evidence-based service that has effectively supported a high-risk group of young people through their darkest moments is incomprehensible.”

In an interview with Associated Press published on Monday, Black said they were surprised by Scott’s donation.

“I literally could not believe it and it took some time. I actually gasped,” Black told the news service.

Black hailed Scott’s donation in the organization’s Monday blog post.

“This gift is a powerful step toward building on our sustainable capacity — but our organization will continue to face one of the largest public health crises of our time: LGBTQ+ youth suicide,” Black said in his announcement. “Research shows that LGBTQ+ young people are more than four times as likely to attempt suicide than their peers.”

The CEO also wrote that The Trevor Project will invest the $45 million with “great care,” focusing on strengthening the organization’s core crisis services and “accelerating our progress toward a world where every LGBTQ+ young person knows they are loved and supported.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health challenges, emotional distress, substance use problems, or just needs to talk, call or text 988, or chat at 988lifeline.org 24/7

Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott has gifted $45 million to The Trevor Project, a nonprofit that supports LGBTQ+ youth, after the federal government cut $25 million in funding to the organization.

“This extraordinary contribution — the single largest one-time donation in our 27-year history — comes at a pivotal moment for our organization and the LGBTQ+ young people we serve,” Jaymes Black, The Trevor Project’s CEO, said as he announced the donation on the organization’s website on Monday, Jan. 12.

Scott previously donated $6 million to The Trevor Project in 2020, the group said.

Founded in 1998, The Trevor Project provides 24/7 crisis care for LGBTQ+ young people on such issues as coming out, LGBTQ+ identity, depression and suicide. Other services from the nonprofit include peer support, public eduction and advocacy of policies to prevent suicide among LBGTQ+ youth.

The group estimates that 40 million LGBTQ+ youth around the world “seriously consider” suicide each year.

“Even at our highest reach, The Trevor Project has only been able to serve a fraction of those youth,” Black said. “That means that hundreds of thousands of young people each year still go without the life-saving support they deserve.”

The latest donation from Scott, the former wife of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, comes as the Trump Administration cut off $25 million to The Trevor Project last July — funding the organization needs to provide services to at-risk youth. The group said last June that the administration ordered the closure of the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline’s LGBTQ+ Youth Specialized Services program.

“This is devastating, to say the least,” Black responded at the time.  “Suicide prevention is about people, not politics. The administration’s decision to remove a bipartisan, evidence-based service that has effectively supported a high-risk group of young people through their darkest moments is incomprehensible.”

In an interview with Associated Press published on Monday, Black said they were surprised by Scott’s donation.

“I literally could not believe it and it took some time. I actually gasped,” Black told the news service.

Black hailed Scott’s donation in the organization’s Monday blog post.

“This gift is a powerful step toward building on our sustainable capacity — but our organization will continue to face one of the largest public health crises of our time: LGBTQ+ youth suicide,” Black said in his announcement. “Research shows that LGBTQ+ young people are more than four times as likely to attempt suicide than their peers.”

The CEO also wrote that The Trevor Project will invest the $45 million with “great care,” focusing on strengthening the organization’s core crisis services and “accelerating our progress toward a world where every LGBTQ+ young person knows they are loved and supported.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health challenges, emotional distress, substance use problems, or just needs to talk, call or text 988, or chat at 988lifeline.org 24/7

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Madison Chock and Evan Bates Make Major Career Decision After Olympic Drama and Silver Medal Finish

American ice dance stars Madison Chock and Evan Bates have made an important career decision following the dramatic outcome of the 2026 Winter Olympics,...

James Van Der Beek and Wife Kimberly Renewed Wedding Vows from Bed 2 Days Before His Death

James Van Der Beek and wife Kimberly Van Der Beek renewed their vows days before the actor’s death. “We decided two days beforehand and our friends got us...

Whoopi Goldberg Denies Ties to Jeffrey Epstein After Her Name Surfaces in Files: ‘I Wasn’t His Girlfriend, I Wasn’t His Friend’

Whoopi Goldberg has addressed her name being found in the Epstein files, insisting it doesn’t mean she’s guilty of any wrongdoing. In an episode of The View that aired Tuesday,...

Tommy Lee Jones’ daughter Victoria’s cause of death revealed

Victoria Jones’ cause of death has been revealed. The daughter of actor Tommy Lee Jones died due to toxic effects of cocaine, according to the...

3 High School Students Died After Being Hypnotized by Their Principal. Inside the Bizarre Case

In spring 2011, three students from the same small town in Florida died — and all three were previously hypnotized by their principal, Dr....

Social Media Star Charlie Meza Dies at Age 9 After Documenting Life with Brain Cancer

Charlie Meza, a 9-year-old social media star whose mother documented her life with brain cancer, died on Feb. 14. She was 9. “She is free,”...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!