Details emerge about Bondi Beach gunman – and the excuse the ‘unemployed’ bricklayer gave his family before he left home

The mother of the 24-year-old unemployed bricklayer behind the Bondi Beach terror attack has recalled the elaborate excuse he told family ahead of the massacre.

Naveed Akram, 24, and his father, 50, opened fire on a Jewish Hanukkah event shortly before 7pm on Sunday, killing at least 16 people and injuring a further 40.

Akram was apprehended at the scene of the shooting and taken to hospital under police guard in critical but stable condition. His father died at the scene.

Speaking from her police-surrounded Bonnyrigg home, in Sydney‘s west, Akram’s mother Verena said the 24-year-old had told family he had gone to Jervis Bay with his father for a weekend of fishing and swimming.

‘He rings me up [on Sunday] and said, “Mum, I just went for a swim. I went scuba diving. We’re going… to eat now”,’ she told the Sydney Morning Herald.

‘And then this morning, “we’re going to stay home now because it’s very hot”.’

Verena was unable to identify her son from a photo at the scene of the shooting, but insisted he was a ‘good boy’ who is incapable of violence or extremism.

‘He doesn’t have a firearm. He doesn’t even go out. He doesn’t mix around with friends. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t go to bad places,’ she said.

Naveed Akram, 24, has been identified as one of the gunmen behind the Bondi Beach shooting
Akram was shot, arrested and was rushed to hospital in critical condition under police guard
Police raid the home of Naveed Akram in Bonnyrigg, western Sydney, on Sunday night

‘He goes to work, he comes home, he goes to exercise, and that’s it.’

Verena said Akram had worked as a bricklayer until about two months ago when the company became insolvent.

He had attended Cabramatta High School and was not particularly social, she said.

He lived at the three-bedroom Bonnyrigg home with his parents and younger sister and brother, around which police set up an exclusion zone on Sunday night.

Their neighbour, Lemanatua Fatu, told the Daily Mail she was shocked and scared to find out she was living opposite a killer.

‘We saw lots of police cars arriving in the street and especially in that house,’ she said. ‘We couldn’t sleep, watching everything – it was so scary.’

Asked about the killer and his family, she said: ‘We notice them coming and going everyday and they never say hello or anything, they were just normal people.

‘We were so shocked to know they shot people.

Sixteen people have been confirmed dead following the shooting
Bondi Beach erupted into chaos after the shots rang out shortly before 7pm on Sunday

‘We saw them sometimes coming out of the house and doing normal things, it’s shocking and terrifying.’

Police also raided an address in Campsie, where the father and son are believed to have been staying before the shooting.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon confirmed all six firearms owned by the father, a licensed firearms holder, had been seized.

‘We are satisfied that we have six firearms from the scene yesterday, but also as a result of the search warrant at the Campsie address,’ he said.

‘Ballistics and forensic investigation will determine those six firearms are the six that were licenced to that man, but also they were used in the offence yesterday at Bondi.’

 

The mother of the 24-year-old unemployed bricklayer behind the Bondi Beach terror attack has recalled the elaborate excuse he told family ahead of the massacre.

Naveed Akram, 24, and his father, 50, opened fire on a Jewish Hanukkah event shortly before 7pm on Sunday, killing at least 16 people and injuring a further 40.

Akram was apprehended at the scene of the shooting and taken to hospital under police guard in critical but stable condition. His father died at the scene.

Speaking from her police-surrounded Bonnyrigg home, in Sydney‘s west, Akram’s mother Verena said the 24-year-old had told family he had gone to Jervis Bay with his father for a weekend of fishing and swimming.

‘He rings me up [on Sunday] and said, “Mum, I just went for a swim. I went scuba diving. We’re going… to eat now”,’ she told the Sydney Morning Herald.

‘And then this morning, “we’re going to stay home now because it’s very hot”.’

Verena was unable to identify her son from a photo at the scene of the shooting, but insisted he was a ‘good boy’ who is incapable of violence or extremism.

‘He doesn’t have a firearm. He doesn’t even go out. He doesn’t mix around with friends. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t go to bad places,’ she said.

Naveed Akram, 24, has been identified as one of the gunmen behind the Bondi Beach shooting
Akram was shot, arrested and was rushed to hospital in critical condition under police guard
Police raid the home of Naveed Akram in Bonnyrigg, western Sydney, on Sunday night

‘He goes to work, he comes home, he goes to exercise, and that’s it.’

Verena said Akram had worked as a bricklayer until about two months ago when the company became insolvent.

He had attended Cabramatta High School and was not particularly social, she said.

He lived at the three-bedroom Bonnyrigg home with his parents and younger sister and brother, around which police set up an exclusion zone on Sunday night.

Their neighbour, Lemanatua Fatu, told the Daily Mail she was shocked and scared to find out she was living opposite a killer.

‘We saw lots of police cars arriving in the street and especially in that house,’ she said. ‘We couldn’t sleep, watching everything – it was so scary.’

Asked about the killer and his family, she said: ‘We notice them coming and going everyday and they never say hello or anything, they were just normal people.

‘We were so shocked to know they shot people.

Sixteen people have been confirmed dead following the shooting
Bondi Beach erupted into chaos after the shots rang out shortly before 7pm on Sunday

‘We saw them sometimes coming out of the house and doing normal things, it’s shocking and terrifying.’

Police also raided an address in Campsie, where the father and son are believed to have been staying before the shooting.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon confirmed all six firearms owned by the father, a licensed firearms holder, had been seized.

‘We are satisfied that we have six firearms from the scene yesterday, but also as a result of the search warrant at the Campsie address,’ he said.

‘Ballistics and forensic investigation will determine those six firearms are the six that were licenced to that man, but also they were used in the offence yesterday at Bondi.’

 

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

How Did a Dog End Up Crossing the Finish Line at the Milan Cortina Olympics? The Owner Finally Explains

It was the kind of Olympic moment no one saw coming. In the middle of intense competition at the Milan–Cortina Winter Olympics, as athletes pushed...

Eric Dane recorded heart-wrenching final words to daughters before he died from ALS

Eric Dane recorded his heartbreaking last words to his two teen daughters, Billie and Georgia, before his death. “Billie and Georgia, these words are for you,”...

Eric Dane, Grey’s Anatomy and Euphoria Star, Dead at 53 Nearly 1 Year After Announcing ALS Diagnosis

Eric Dane has died at the age of 53, PEOPLE confirms. Dane became a star with his role as Dr. Mark Sloan — a.k.a. McSteamy...

Madison Chock and Evan Bates Make Major Career Decision After Olympic Drama and Silver Medal Finish

American ice dance stars Madison Chock and Evan Bates have made an important career decision following the dramatic outcome of the 2026 Winter Olympics,...

James Van Der Beek and Wife Kimberly Renewed Wedding Vows from Bed 2 Days Before His Death

James Van Der Beek and wife Kimberly Van Der Beek renewed their vows days before the actor’s death. “We decided two days beforehand and our friends got us...

Whoopi Goldberg Denies Ties to Jeffrey Epstein After Her Name Surfaces in Files: ‘I Wasn’t His Girlfriend, I Wasn’t His Friend’

Whoopi Goldberg has addressed her name being found in the Epstein files, insisting it doesn’t mean she’s guilty of any wrongdoing. In an episode of The View that aired Tuesday,...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!