Death toll rises as massive fire engulfs Hong Kong high-rise apartment buildings

HONG KONG — At least 36 people were killedas a massive fire engulfed a residential apartment complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.

“A fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po at 2.51 p.m. today … The fire was upgraded to No. 3 alarm at 3.02 p.m., and to No. 4 alarm at 3.34 p.m.,” according to a statement from the Hong Kong government.

By 6:22 p.m. local time the fire had been upgraded again to a No. 5 alarm, city officials said.

At least 36 people were dead, officials said during a pressing briefing early Thursday local time, the AP reported, as the death toll continued to rise in the hours since the fire started.

Over two dozen were injured, including many who were transferred to two local hospitals, fire officials said.

Some 279 people have been reported missing, officials said, according to the AP.

One of the dead was a firefighter who had been called to the scene from nearby Sha Tin Fire Station, according to Andy Yeung, the director of Fire Services.

Yeung in a statement named the firefighter as Ho Wai-ho, 37, adding that he “was found collapsed at the scene” of the fire. He was rushed to the hospital, where he later died, Yeung said.

“The fire has resulted in many casualties, including a fireman who died in the line of duty,” Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee said in a statement posted to social media. “I express my deep sadness and my deep condolences to the families of the dead and the injured.”

Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung said in a statement that emergency departments were at the scene of the blaze. The fire department was “doing its utmost to put out the fire,” he said.

Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed his condolences sympathies to the victims’ families and those affected in a statement. He said he ordered authorities to “do everything possible to ensure search and rescue operations, medical treatment for the injured, and post-disaster relief, and to provide necessary assistance to relevant departments and local authorities to minimize casualties and losses.”

 

HONG KONG — At least 36 people were killedas a massive fire engulfed a residential apartment complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.

“A fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po at 2.51 p.m. today … The fire was upgraded to No. 3 alarm at 3.02 p.m., and to No. 4 alarm at 3.34 p.m.,” according to a statement from the Hong Kong government.

By 6:22 p.m. local time the fire had been upgraded again to a No. 5 alarm, city officials said.

At least 36 people were dead, officials said during a pressing briefing early Thursday local time, the AP reported, as the death toll continued to rise in the hours since the fire started.

Over two dozen were injured, including many who were transferred to two local hospitals, fire officials said.

Some 279 people have been reported missing, officials said, according to the AP.

One of the dead was a firefighter who had been called to the scene from nearby Sha Tin Fire Station, according to Andy Yeung, the director of Fire Services.

Yeung in a statement named the firefighter as Ho Wai-ho, 37, adding that he “was found collapsed at the scene” of the fire. He was rushed to the hospital, where he later died, Yeung said.

“The fire has resulted in many casualties, including a fireman who died in the line of duty,” Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee said in a statement posted to social media. “I express my deep sadness and my deep condolences to the families of the dead and the injured.”

Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung said in a statement that emergency departments were at the scene of the blaze. The fire department was “doing its utmost to put out the fire,” he said.

Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed his condolences sympathies to the victims’ families and those affected in a statement. He said he ordered authorities to “do everything possible to ensure search and rescue operations, medical treatment for the injured, and post-disaster relief, and to provide necessary assistance to relevant departments and local authorities to minimize casualties and losses.”

 

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Tim Walz Hits Back After Donald Trump Calls Him the R-Word, Taunting President to Release His MRI Results

The Minnesota governor quickly responded to Trump's derogatory insult by raising questions about the 79-year-old president's health Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz quickly fired back after President Donald Trump lobbed...

My MIL Humiliated My Son for Crocheting My Wedding Dress – What My Husband Did Next Made Me Love Him Even More

When my 12-year-old son crocheted my wedding dress, I thought it was the most beautiful gift imaginable. But when my mother-in-law publicly mocked him,...

Trump to pardon former Honduran president sentenced to prison for drug trafficking

President Trump is set to pardon a former Honduran president who had been sentenced to prison for drug trafficking, he announced on social media Friday. “I...

Melania Trump Reveals She’s Launching Her Own Production Company Ahead of $40M Amazon Documentary

The first lady announced her new film production company, Muse Films, in a brief post on X First lady Melania Trump is launching a film production company. She...

Sheriff’s deputy, father of 3, shot and killed by brother on Thanksgiving night, authorities say

WAGGAMAN, La. (WVUE/Gray News) - A sheriff’s deputy in Louisiana has been identified as the victim of a deadly Thanksgiving Day shooting. According to the St....

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!